What are we reading?

yuval k

../images/Emo63.gif What are we reading?

I hope this marks the beginning of a new tradition: one of the best ways to learn about others is looking at their libraries.
So share with us: what books are you reading now? There are no rules---write whatever you want about them. And, of course, feel free to write about books you've read in the past (especially since this is the first time we're doing this).​

ArieIO5

?Books, huh

I have to admit, I haven't really been able to find the time for reading lately. It's not that I'm that busy or anything, but I guess it's partly because of the army, which can (and does) get one very tired. I am trying, though, to bring books back into my life. I'll let you know when I've succeeded, but in the meantime I'll tell you that some of the last books I read were The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Gone For Good by Harlan Coben and also I re-read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Two more books I recently re-read (and not for the first time) are both classics, and all-time favorites. I'm talking about The Little Prince and The Catcher In The Rye. Both amazing in their own way, and if you still haven't had a chance to read them I strongly suggest you do so. And not that it's really relevant, but TLP has a wonderful Hebrew translation as well. So you may either choose to read both or face that awfully difficult dilemma.​

talrv

two of the books you've mentioned

are in my to read list (like "to do list"
) for so long, but I haven't had the time, or the patience to get to them yet. Gone For Good by Harlen Coben is one of my favorite books, because of all the twists and turns the plot takes, without confusing you. I found myself shocked, amazed, amused and deeply touched by that book. If you (any of you) get the chance to read it, I urge you to do it. I'm currently reading "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. you probably know him better from "The Silence of the Lambs". So this is the first book of the series. I'm still at the begining, we'll see how it goes. Tal.

Wakamusha

I read about 2-3 books

by Stephen King. The only thing I have to say about him is that he has a great , really meticulous way of writing crap. The plots are always completely half-arses ,predictable and Hollywood-movie oriented. (The cheesy, American "whoa,fucking supernatural" kind) He writes rather well.. I just wish he'd write something other than bona fide fecal science fiction

TheNightcrawler

lately I've decided

to read all of Jane Austen's books (I have no idea what came over me).And so I've purchased some and eventually began to read Sense & Sensibility. The only thing I have to say about that book is that unless you're British,don't come anywhere near it
To all of you fantasy readers,I recommend Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's books.They're wonderful (both writers and books
),every single one of them.​

yuval k

It's more than being British

you kind-of should be of the time period to really appreciate it...​

Wakamusha

How can you read

Elizabethan-period romantic novels? I'm not talking about the language, that's peanuts and jam.. I'm talking about the content. It's like reading Shakespeare only without the linguistic flexibility

yuval k

Fine, my turn

Next year I'm going to study English (Literature) at the AP level, so I have 5 summer-reading books instead of just 3. The first three I don't even have yet, so I obviously couldn't have read them, but I now am reading Jonathan Safran Foer's /Everything Is Illuminated/. I really like it so far: Foer writes beautifully, manipulating language almost as though it were an end in itself (and, of course, it is
). It's one book I won't like to see translated - there's this boy in it, Alex, who messes up his English in ways that translation will absolutely ruin. Before EII, I read /Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close/ (by the same author). This one is not on the summer reading list, but it should be good enough for them (and anyway, I've read a few other books from the list, so I can pretend to have read them this summer
). I think it's a bit better than EII. They're similar in certain respects---both involve a search for something, both are written so that there is more than one narrator in interweaving sections that create the whole picture---but they are different, too. ELIC could possibly be translated, but I won't even get near that

Lily Potter

I've got a question

I'm not sure if I should ask it here... You said you are going to study English Literature next year at AP level...did you start studying it already or is it really just the beginning? Cos I really don't know what I'm going to study after High School and the army, and since I LOVE English and really love literature, the combination of both is really appealing.... Has anyone here already took the course and can tell me about it? What can you do with it after the university?

yuval k

well, the AP is an American

qualification. I temporarily live in the US, and at my high school higher-level students have the option to study AP courses (and then sit the AP exams), which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to first-year college courses. Anyway, I'm just a high school student. I'm sorry, but I can't advise you about university courses...​

Wakamusha

What sorta book is it?

Sounds , simply, like a novel (not of course underestimating the quality of the novel or citing any dislike towards novels)

on my night table:

1) An introduction to Philosophy of Science (don't ask). 2) Peace kills /P.J. O'rourke (funny! thought-provoking! just plain infuriating! get his stuff!) 3) High Tide in Tucson / Barbara Kingsolver (very good). 4) Thud/ Terry Pratchett (you don't know him? you don't know what you're missing.) 5) An autobiography of a Vietnam Veteran who was an eco-activist (soooo boring. I've stopped, back to the library with this guy).​

Did you read The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver? It's my favorite book. Tell me a litle about High Tide in Tuscon. What is it about? When was it published?​

Oh, yes

My mum loaned it to me one day and I loved it. Ayear later I saw "High tide" (used, for 20 shekels! Hah!)and bought it on the strength of "poisonwood", and was not disappointed. It's not a novel, but a collection of articles she wrote over the years for magazines etc. It may sound boring, but it's anything but. Really good stuff. since then I've read two more of her books, which I liked a little less than these two but still pretty much).​

:)

The other books? "Prodigal Summer" (her latest, I think) and "The bean trees" (earlier). The articles? about life, growing up, motherhood, politics, being in a rock band with Stephen King (really)... oh, just read the damn thing. You'll thank me for the rest of your life.​

Wakamusha

Synopsis ho

The title "poisonwood bible" is intriguing, could you tell me more or less what's it about?

Wakamusha

Pratchett

I read every single Pratchett Discworld Novel up until "Going Postal" (which was simply HILLARIOUS), I also read every single other book he wrote (Johnny novels, strata, etc.) Plus, he also wrote a book with Fantasy-writer Neil Gaiman (see "stardust") called "Good Omens" - that's like the hollywood movie "Dogma" only better and funnier

פורג3

Thank God! ../images/Emo6.gif

I was beginning to think I was the only one reading Jane Austen's books
I really like her books even though I must say that I think that they should be taken in a certain dose.
(one book at a time will do) Up until now I've read four of her novels and my favorites have been "Pride and Prejudice", "Sense and Sensibility" and "Mansfield Park". At the end of this school year, our English teacher was so kind in informing us that we have to write two book reports next year. Since next year will be so loaded with bagrut tests (eleventh grade in Mofet- kill me, kill me now
), it will be best if we start them now. After reading three of Jane Austen's books, I decided that both me and my teacher could use a little break from her so I came to the library with a list of new book recommendations that did not involve Jane Austen's books one bit. None of the books from my list were in the library.
Therefore, I took two more of Jane Austen's novels, Northanger Abbey (which was by far the most exhausting book of hers) and Emma (which I have yet to read). Sorry for the scroll, I just felt like sharing.

למעלה