What are we reading?

מיה אחת2

Austen

does tend to be exhausting. Pride and Prejudice is perfect in every aspect, but Mansfield Park... well, I did finish it, but I was fourteen and stubborn. Emma I had to abandon. My best friend loves it very much, though.​

פורג3

My problem with her

is that in almost every story of hers that I read, there is the main plot that has the potential to be something great but it is covered with so many layers and layers of nonsense-talking, needless descriptions and other things, that sometimes it's a challenge just to get there (to the actual plot). As for Mansfield Park, that is exactly what I meant when I said what I just said. It might have been great, but Fanny was just so annoying and Edmund entirely oblivious to his surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I love her novels, but that is what I meant when I mentioned the dose.
Too many novels of her might just get you to a state of terrible exhaustion.
If anyone got to this part of the message and actually got what I was trying to say, please let me know.

Wakamusha

Austen = shite

Sorry guys, I just don't like her.. I have a feeling people still read her nowadays because it sounds snappy to say "Oh, I read Jane Austen books"

Wakamusha

Dude, to each his own

There's infinite diversity in our species, most of the time, I don't give a fart in a high wind what people like or not... To each his own, eh? Some people love nothing more than vampire-story fanpicks. I wish for everyone to have as much fun out whatever gives them kicks.

Wakamusha

Woops

Apologies... Hey, don't take me the wrong way.. I got a gut feeling you took some offense

מיה אחת2

Oh, I agree with you

But you know, I sometime wonder whether my disability to read Emma (for example) had more to do with me, being easily exhausted at fourteen, than with the book. It is truth (universally acknowledged
) that P&P is Austen's best book, cleverly balancing action and dialogue, but that's not to say her other books can not be enjoyed. I do agree (as aforesaid) that Mansfield Park is tremendously exhausting, but then, if I remember correctly, Emma is considered a better book. I also think that if I'll find the time to read it nowadays there's a good chance I'll enjoy it. As to the dose – it does seem clever to take a break from Austen. Didn't you find anything else to your liking in the library? You can look for classics (Orwell, the Bronte sisters… Wow, it's been a while since I've been to a high-school library, but I think that's the sort of books they usually keep). I'd also be happy to lend you if you want.​

פורג3

The library I went to with

the list of recommendations is not a high-school library, but a municipal library. (Just to clarify this point
) My high-school library- not my cup of water. If we are already speaking of P&P, the version the high-school has, looks more like a brochure than an actual book. I didn't expect for all the books in my list not to be in the library (
), and I didn't have much time so I just grabbed Northanger Abbey (
) and Emma and took off. Next time I'll bring a lot of recommendations with me.
I've already read Jane Eyre of Charlotte Bronte but I have yet to read Orwell's books. I'll look it up. PS, if you liked P&P, I think there is a good chance for you to like Sense and Sensibility as well. Check it out.

Lily Potter

My Books

I'm reading Johm Grisham's The Chamber...I find his books really interesting, he writes great thrillers and it's rare to find something that really sucks me into the story. Also, I read Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi...the idea seems nice, about a female dwarf, but her descriptions are very tiring and I find myself unable to read more than three or four pages since it's really boring...
I read Chocolat a while ago, wonderful book...recommanded to everyone! It's beautiful and the movie is very nice as well...

Hmm

I recently finished reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and His & Parchett's Good Omens. Enjoyed them alot.. After that I realized I'm all out of books to read, so i read The Art Of War by some chinese fella. And I'm currently reading and exercising Use Your Head by Tony Buzan.. It's a great guide that is supposed to help you improve your reading WPM and memory.. It helped me alot (mainly on my Hebrew reading speed, though).

Wakamusha

Yeah!

Listen, Good Omens is by far one of the most hillarious stuff that Pratchett ever wrote. I can safely say that Neil added a more sinister touch to Pratchett's usual "fuck yeah" humor :) Pratchett has a very certain type of sense of humor that never gets old and you can see how it is assimilated with Gaiman's more serious influence Btw and FYI, Pratchett books is something that is to be read same as hot-cakes are eaten - I read most of his books more than once, some I read more than 4 times (for example "Night Watch", which is by far his best yet), he's not only funny, he's also damn good.

First post here....

I really hope that this is justified to the left
I am currently reading: Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said - by Philip K. Dick Goldman Sachs a Culture of Success - by Lisa Endlich Great Forum guys...keep it up.

למעלה